June 2, 2013
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sunday and Monday in Bath. No driving on Sunday… which was a good respite from the stress of this American driving a car on roads in such a way that he is not used to (want to say "wrong" way, but that wouldn't be fair I suppose). Anyway, Peggy and I took off on foot to go see what there was to see, like…

The Roman Baths were built shortly after the Roman invasion about 2,000 years ago and were gradually built up over the next 300 years. When the Romans eventually withdrew from Britain in the early part of the 5th century, the baths fell into disrepair and were lost to silting up and floods. They have been excavated and modified on several occasions over the centuries until now as they exist as a major tourist attraction visited by over one million visitors a year. Very cool exhibit. It was worth the pounds to get in.

We then had a tasty smoked salmon and cucumber in a baguette with some salad at a local cafe before heading over to visit the Bath Abbey, another old cathedral-like building originally built in the 8th century. It has been built, restored, and then restored again after WW II, to the cityscape-dominating structure it is today. As with the Salisbury Cathedral, Bath Abbey had people of repute entombed in the floor and walls, with ornate inscriptions and sculptured figures. And, of course, amazing stained glass windows and vaulted ceilings high above. Ah, but the most amazing part for me was when they played the immense pipe organ that certainly completed the feeling that the the abbey was a place of god. Hear for yourself…

Then it was back to the B & B with a stop along the way at the The Bear. Some pints of beer and glasses of wine and food to eat…
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Log entries:
May 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 June 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | London